Tuesday, January 15, 2019



Some days you just gotta say fuck it...
UNO years ago TMS used think they knew what was going on...

We would rather refer to this shitty place as a creation rather than somethin built..built seems so structured and blah..creating is more of just going by the seat of your pants and lettin shit flo...back in the day we did interviews, race reports..cool real life stuff..then as all things must do we evolved into what we can only call a place where radness of our own demise exist...and we got softnlazy.....

but somewhere along this journey folks got soft too..got butthurt and wanted more than just your average  pro-deal...anyone that denies this is a fool...anyhow trying to stick to our roots and discovering a new slew of rad humans willing to put there ego and image on the line allowed us to do some fun interviews..

go with it your not pro never and will never will be...laugh a little an enjoy the radness

Why we love this guy..
obviously, he has a TMS sense of humor..rides a bike pretty good..and hasn't let his ego get to outta control ..

The Scotty Albaugh interview...







when I was a kid...

I had a lot of energy and really enjoyed the outdoors. I have three younger brothers and it was (and still can be) a total circus at the Albaugh Residence. Too much testosterone and wannabe Alpha Male for one house.


I got into cycling why and when...

This has two parts, my introduction and my return. My parents grew up with World Champion John Tomac. My dad especially liked mountain bike and BMX racing so he got me and my brothers into it not long after we could walk. Being from Waterford we went to the BMX track a lot, but as a family we really enjoyed going for long bike rides. I finally got a mountain bike and begged my dad to take me to Pontiac Lake the summer between 7th and 8th grade and we started going every weekend for the next few years. I was the Junior mountain bike state champ in 2009 and it was kind of a defining moment because I was starting to become a strong runner and the mountain bike competition didn't exist. My high school coach said running would be more beneficial in the long run and it would be smart to stop bike racing for a little bit and just run. I was the Michigan D1 cross country state champ the following fall.

Fast Forward 6 years:

It was 2015 and my fourth year at U of M (for those that don't know I ran track on a scholarship there) and I was starting to get really burned out. The coach that recruited me was let go and I was overtrained so I started riding my bike on my off days to adventure and just enjoy being outside. It was very good for my soul. After a pathetic 10k performance and a shitty breakup I took the summer to decide whether or not to run on the team for my fifth year, I decided I'd give a fifth year a try. 6 weeks in I was miserable and left. I had always wanted to return to bike racing and race pro category mountain bikes like the Simonster and Bells Team of 2007-08. It seemed like a good time to start, I had a chip on my shoulder and started training like a madman. 6 weeks later finished 22nd in the pro/cat 1 race at Iceman. Best decision I have ever made, I've never been happier.


Sorry that got long but many people either know part 1 or part 2, a very small group of people know both. I'm either known as the Ex-Runner or just another tailwinds junior.



When I comes to music I listen to...

Everything. I don't discriminate when it comes to music.


One thing you learned the hard way...

Just because you work hard doesn't mean you're owed a good result or just because you spent a lot of time on something doesn't mean its strong or of good quality. I am reminded of this every few years in different areas of life. When I was in college there was a season when I thought just because i'm doing a lot of training the race was somehow going to be easier, obviously thats wasn't the case. You can be the most fit person on earth but you have to show up on race day. I see it in my work life too, you have to make sure your efforts are going to the correct and most helpful places. I think about this Greg Lemond quote a lot "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster".


One skill you wish you had...

I wish I had whatever skill is needed to be an engineer. I lived with two aerospace engineers and was really entertained by what they were studying. However, I do not have the skills or drive to be an engineer.


If you could be a professional athlete in any disciple during any time period what would it be...

Supercross in 2019. Looks like a lot of fun.


If you found 20$ what would you do with it...

Save it. Bike parts and races are expensive.


The coolest thing you ever made...

I work at the family masonry construction business as the project accountant, HR and administrator (Instagram @albaughmasonry) and I get to be part of some really cool and rewarding projects. The first apartment building I was part of was awesome and very memorable. Although I didn't lay a single brick I had to make sure we were on budget, invoicing correctly and were staying OSHA compliant. The whole team felt like we did a cool thing.


On any given day you can find me...

You can find me in three locations. At work, on Clarkston Road/M15 (I see Lil Pony there at least once a week during the summer) or doing a hot lap at Pontiac Lake.


I can cook a pretty good...

Pancake. They're perfectly brown.


Weirdest thing that ever happened to me on a ride...

I was in Arizona on my mountain bike and I went around a turn and there was a nude photoshoot going on the trail. Very gorgeous girl doing full frontal nudity for a dude taking photos. I waved, they waved and I went on with my ride.


The silliest thing about the cycling world

I can rant about cowards and "future pros" for hours. I like to race and try to win, thats the point. We all paid the entry fee to race not do a group ride. If more people accepted that you're going to lose more than you win and put their balls and egos on the line racing in Michigan would be like Cali and Arizona. There is nothing noble about sitting in and finishing 4th at Waterford. The "future pro" pisses me off. I'm further a long than 99.9% of people and I wont be getting a pro contract in my lifetime. Skipping good opportunities or dropping out of races because you don't want to lose is bullshit. That's not what racing is about and Alexey/Chris W. will tell you thats not very pro.


The toughest thing about having great hair

Wouldn't know, I started going bald at 20. I'm only 25 and my hairline is pretty bad. However, a med student friend of mine says thats a sign of having high testosterone, so I guess I have that going for me.


 pretty into

Podcasts and True Crime.


this one time...

In college...Go for a ride with me, i've got a few good ones.


The most inspirational person to me

Is my Mom/Dad, Mike Simonson and any person who is courageous. I am inspired by normal people in extraordinary situations.


Live free or die...

Live free or die trying. I believe you're in control of your own destiny.


No more two wheelersRecumbents or Adult trikes

No more adult trikes. Recumbents are lame but they have a purpose for people who find a normal bike uncomfortable, so good for them.


In my fridge, you can find

Yogurt, blueberries and Coors Banquet.

7 comments:

Scotty Albaugh said...

Thank you for the interview and the rad blog!

Anonymous said...

I like this. TMS do more of this. Thanks for the insight Scotty ����

Anonymous said...

Ditto

Anonymous said...

TMS has got it going on

Anonymous said...

like

Anonymous said...

Wow.....Didn’t know you were MI State CC Champ.

ChrisD said...

Loved the interview and then the whole thing fell apart at Coors Banquet!