Thursday, March 08, 2007

Ben Renkema Michiganscene, Michiganscene Ben Renkema




First time i seen Ben he reminded me of Buddy Hinton, that bully that cold cocked Peter Brady on the 70's TV show Brady Bunch. Another thought comes to mind is when he showed up to the 2004 Michigan state cyclocross championship and said hell with it and raced the elite race against seasoned crossers..





Q.How long have been racing-


A Six years.



Q. what changes have you seen in the Miscene over the years


A I started out in mountain bike racing. It was huge, and as time went on, The field sizes were shrinking. I tried road racing in 2004, and realized that road racing is where the action is. It seems to be getting bigger and bigger each year.



Q. ever plan on doing a full tour of cross?


A .no, by the end of the road season, I'm ready for a break. It seems like you have to choose between a full cross tour and a full road racing season if you want to excel at one.



Q. past sponsors?


A. Cross Country Cycle, Mi Youth Cycling, Wolverine Sports Club,






Q .what are some of your secret cravings?


A DMD (diet mountain Dew) Take Fives, Cocoa Dyno Bites (off brand Cocoa Pebbles, but they taste better)






Q. what are your weakness, cycling specific?


A .Time trialing, but all the miles I'm putting in down in my dark basement has made me a little more tough, mentally anyway.






Q. how many bikes do you own?


A 1. I accept donations.






Q.What are some of the funniest cycling moments you have had?


A In 2002 Ryan Cross and I went to the Ionia Mountain Bike Time Trial, He started a few minutes ahead of me and when I came to him on the trail he had endo-ed and torn the whole front of his shorts off (fully exposed). Tons of women and small children watched as he made his way back to the car, put on some baggy shorts, then finished the race.






Q. what races are looking forward too?


A Downer's Grove Elit Criterium, Elk Grove Criterium, U-23 Road and Criterium Nationals, and of course, Rockford Criterium.






Q.big goals this season?


A. I want to swim from the pier to the beach, without drowning. ~300 yards. ( I live close to the holland state park).






Q.Have you have been injured?


A. I don't consider losing skin an injury anymore, so then, "no".






Q. . do you coach yourself or have coach?


A. I have a coach, his name is Ben, but it's not me, honest.



Q. do you set up a peak for a season?


A. Yes. I peak every race. (just joking) I'm trying to peak twice a season.



Q. what other intrest do you have or hobbies?


A. Boating, sailing, Downhill Skiing, I used to be mainly into eating, but as a result, I've become quite the chef (If I do say so myself).



Q. favorite place to ride?


A. Colorado.



Q. are you goth?


A.I wear bicycle shorts and a jersey with a large sun on the shoulder, so 'No'.



Q. Last C.D. you bought?


A. Taking Back Sunday.



Q. good book or Ipod?


A. neither, I have a cheap mp3 player.



Q. what does ben do on friday night?


A. Well, first I put on the smell good, Then, who knows where the night will take me, but wherever I end up, I'm smelling nice.
Q. girfriend ?


A.Yes. She time trials faster than me. Because of her, I'm missing Cone Azala, she's running the Flying Pig Marathon. who knows, I might give it a shot myself. (actually not, b/c I would die)



Q. big hour traing week ?


A.ha.ummm... 20?



Q. do you follow a srtict diet?


A.I don't know about strict, but I don't frequently consume LARGE quantities of little debbies and donuts before I ride.



Q. would you still ride if you didnt race?


A.yes. but not as much, it'd be much more, leisurely. Maybe I'd even wear a leisure suit inplace of a skinsuit.



Q. Taco bell or subway?


A. Subway.



25 THANKS your one of the best!! and thank those that keep you rollin!!! Thanks to everyone who's helped me in the past years, and recently, Andrie INC. BreakAway Bicycles, Jason S. Brant Hendler, and Stan Andrie. Last but not least, My girlfriend Christy, who helps me mentally and financially and can't forget Ryan Cross (Rhyno, Rhynocerous, Ramathorn) who got me into cycling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have scene the future of MI racing, and it's name is Ben...!"

Anonymous said...

this kids style....