Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Big Ray.





Big Ray, Large Ray, Dybo, DybowsKI, all of these names have been hung On Ray, if you dont know who this man is in the realm of michigan road cycling, your either a poser, or pretty much dead..Watch any masters race or cat 1-2 race he can usually be found pulling a crazy flyer early in the race, or late, sick thing is his comp knows it and he is succesfull 65% of the time.He has been racing longer than most of us have been breathing, he has won in the spring and all the way through mid september.He is rumored to ride to most of the training races, and ride home.He is well rounded, Time trials well, tough on a crit course and doesnt have too much problem on the rolling hills of our scene, There are alot that people dont know about Ray, so read on. If the Miscene gave a lifetime achievment award, He would be up for it!!


1. How long have you been racing? 27 years


2. What changes have you seen in the Miscene over the years? When I came into the sport there was the Wolverine Sports Club, coached by Mike Walden, Clair Young and Jim Smith. If you wanted to be a bike racer, the Wolverine Sports Club gave you the best shot. Now, there are more teams, more knowledgeable people and much more access to training information. This has lead to better competition across the board! Because of this, Michigan keeps turning out talented cyclists that we can all be proud of.

3. First race? 1979 or 80 - Belle Isle: First Place - Brand New Bianchi Road Bike with record equipment. I was second. You know, not only don't you remember who was second; you don't remember the second place prize either. Have to keep working on that sprint!!!

4. Past sponsors? Only one, the Wolverine Sports Club. (Club Team & Elite Team(s))

5. You have been around awhile, name some of your favorite teammates past and present? Rob Akers, Jim Huff Sr. and myself made a great team. Heck, a sprinter, all-arounder and pursuiter, it’s a good combo! Without going off like an Academy Award winner, there's just too many to mention, and some I have never been on the same team with.

6. What are your weaknesses, cycling specific? The BALLS to contest a field sprint, although I have won a few!

7. How many bikes do you own? Not enough, but my wife say's too many!

8. What are some of the funniest cycling moments you have had? Every time I go on a road trip with a group! I think we laugh so much it takes energy from our racing. However, Tim Finkel's "underwear dance" does stand out! (Sorry Tim)

9. What races are looking forward too? All of them!! Win, place or lose, I love turning the pedals in competition. But, it's always about the ICEMAN, one day I'm going to win a category!


10. Big goals this season? Riding the break in Cat 1/2 races! The Wolverine’s Club & Elite Team having a stellar year. We have a good group and we keep getting better. I love watching riders with heart and dedication WIN, and we have it.

11. Have you have been injured? Yes

12. Do you coach yourself or have coach? I was coached by Mike Walden for 20 years. Inspired by Frankie Andreu. Influenced by Eddie B. (Borysewicz), Walter Gowlbiewshi and Dan Berkholz (God rest his soul) during my 3 years at the Olympic Training Center. I also credit riders like Jim Huff Sr., Jim Bruce, Herb and Klaus Miengast(sp?), Mike Holdman(Sp?), Jason Swiatlowski, Dave Koesel, Steve Mlujeak, all the FORD Team members, and others in this category. (You know who you are). These riders know how to CONSISTENTLY WIN, and I was taught at the races by being "schooled" by them week after week. Lastly, my Dad (God rest his soul), who never went to or saw a bike race. When I was 23, I was about to give up and he said "You know who the fastest guy's are, follow them to the finish line, you may not beat them but you will finish better." Thanks Dad, you kept me in the game!

13. Do you set up a peak for a season? Superweek, Iceman

14. What other interest do you have or hobbies? Family trips to the cabin.

15. Favorite place to ride? If I'm on my bike, it's my favorite place to ride!

16. Are your married? Malissa, the most beautiful woman in the world! How long? 15 years Kids? Lauren (11) and Ryan (8)

17. Occupation? Project Manager, Has-been Bike Racer / Wannabee cycling coach!

18. Favorite movie? I've always had a soft spot for Hoosiers.

19. What does Ray do on Friday night? Summer: Hang out at the Velodrome, Fall, Winter & Spring: Hang with family & friends.

20. Pets? 2 cats, 4 fish

21. Big hour training week ? Pre 1990's: 20-30 hr(quantity) Now: 12 hr(quality)

22. Do you watch what you eat?? I watch it disappear off my fork.....!

23. Would you still ride if you didn't race? Yeah, Mike Walden always said I would be a much better racer if I didn't like riding my bike so much.

24. Big accomplishment on the racing side? The patented "Ray Move"! I can't think of anyone that has a cycling move named after them.

Keep it up Ray, you give us young guys hope for longevity

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's the ray move for us posers?

cool interview.

Anonymous said...

AWWW COME ON!, that crazy first lap flyer when the rest of the field just lets him roll off and dangle for multiple laps, sometimes even gettin outta sight, Ive seen it work in the masters race, but never in 1-2 race at least not in the last few seasons. the dude has guts. I like the interviews.

Anonymous said...

i do believe we refer to it as "the ray dybowski rollaway" its the smooth roll off the front that nobody pays attention to until he's goooone. works best at spring training races. i love ya ray you've been a HUGE influence on my life as a cyclist!! thanks bud.

Ryan Cross

Anonymous said...

OK. the rollaway, "scene" it many times

Anonymous said...

these are awesome. keep em comin. punjab

joe1265 said...

Does Ray's "roll-away" work? Not being a Cat 1/2 racer, I can't say. I did see him pull that move at one of the Runway STS races last year. Rolled away from the leading group with about 3 laps to go. Everyone just looked at each other and he was gone and won. Took the win from guys like Dudley, Daksiewicz, etc.

Also, who would have thunk it at last years Maillot Jaune race when Ray took 4th on what was probably the hilliest course in Michigan racing? What happened there? Did he pull the same "roll-away" move on that backside stretch there in Fenton? I was spectating at the finish, so I can't say, but the gasp and happy shock of surprise in the crowd when Ray rolled across solo in 4th was a great moment. No disrespect intended, but he is a bigger guy. How'd he slip away from all those skinnier 1/2's in that "hilly" race?????

http://www.mbra.org/Results/2006TourdesLac.pdf

Love the interviews!