Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Eagle








The First time i heard Brian Adams name was at Pando in the EARLY 90's, he was battling it out on a hot ass day in mid july with Les Ankerson, and Brad Hibner, i heard long time fun promotions announcer Ted Ruys, blair out....Brian Adams , I was like man that dude has a cool name, just like the canadian rocker!! Im sure though he's sick of all those jokes, it doesnt matter anyway scince he is such a nice guy he would rather rip your legs off in a crit, than smash your face in. Brian has been around raced here and abroad, and know's his stuff, if your comin up through the ranks and want to know what it takes to enjoy the sport and be competitve, take notes from him. Brian has excelled at almost all aspects of cycling, infact he is one of the few guys to take a tailwind cross win from the former imfamous Cane Creek juggernaut.
when he is on he is nearly unbeatable

How long have been racing?

16 years. Man, I’m getting old. Started racing Mtn bikes in 1991, road in 1994, cross in 1997.

What changes have you seen in the Miscene over the years?

On the road, a huge focus on team tactics and overall competition. I started with the Alger/Rapid Wheelmen, and had my “growing years” racing out at Grattan with the Alpine Cyclery Crew. I learned a ton from guys like Jason Swiatlowski, Dean Cohen, Alan Zoltowski, Scott Quiring. We won lots of races together as a Cat I/II Elite team. Now racing with the Lathrup Industries/Giant Team (FKA Ford/Giant) for my 5th season, I feel we race very well as a small elite team, but find ourselves outnumbered (sometimes) when competing against other larger squads like MWCG, MCG, Essex, Texas Roadhouse, Etc.

Although we have lost some huge events in Michigan (Harbor Springs, Kalamazoo, Tour De Michigan), we have gained some, too. I think a key ingredient is some serious leadership by people like Paul Alman, the Obermeyers, AAVC, MCG, etc.

A huge contribution to the MiScene is the promotion that MCG & Joe Lekovish has put out there. With his involvement on a racer and team level, to hosting the bulliten board, to working with Euro Devo and getting the young guys fired up about racing, it has made a huge impact. Not to mention the “cash for chaos/MiScene blogspot”. Nice work!

You spent some time racing overseas. How did that come about and what was it like?

A friend of mine Seth Kleinglass went over in 2000 to race in Bernard Moerman’s Cycling Center program. I followed in 2001 and 2002. At that time it was much less developed and not quite on the front page of velonews. We raced a focused schedule of Kermis (wicked-hard circuit racing), crits (mostly invite only, 50 guys, one race, super fast, usually nocturn “at night” with at least one smooth cobble section), and a solid handful of “interclubs” (UCI Races, usually point to point with finishing loops).

It’s really tough over there. You go from winning races here, to trying to finish races there. It’s sick. It’s impossible to compare the two (us vs. euro). All I can say is you just have to go try it. That is why I am trying so hard to get more guys to head over there (via the Euro Devo program www.eurodevo.com)

Any past personal sponsors?

SlingShot was my first “pro” gig back in the mid-90’s. Arnet (now Arnette) sunglasses were my first ever personal sponsor (’95-‘97), Rudy Project is my longest (10 yrs), Maxxis and Red Bull are current. Also have to mention Raffi Kuredjian, who helped me get over to Belgium in 2001 & 2002, and has been a sponsor of our team since 2005, and now our Title sponsor (Lathrup Industries).

What are some of your secret cravings?

Sucker for a chocolate milkshake! Plus I can’t start the day without a strong pull of espresso from my Saeco.

What are your weakness, cycling specific?

ITT. Everybody knows it. I’m not ashamed. I would rather suffer in a TTT, or an all day break-away, than to crush myself in a 40k TT. My stomach hurts just thinking about it…I am also not a fan of climbing, but I don’t have to worry too much about that here in Michigan. I just have trouble with sustaining the heavy tempo these days.

How many bikes do you own?

2x Road (Giant Team Bikes), 1x Mtn (Giant), 1x Cross (Quiring Cycles), 1x TT (Giant Aero), 1x Cruiser (Giant Simple), 1x Fixed Gear (1987 Bianchi)

What races are looking forward too?

I need vindication at Dexter. Cone Azalia, too. I used to love Midland, is that coming back? Excited about the new Gaslight Crit (East Grand Rapids). Used to love Rockford, but it’s getting old when the entire Priority team (15+ guys) beat up the rest of the 1-2’s.

I always look forward to Kensington…I miss the days of the “short loop” out there, but love the race just the same. I have every type of finish at that race…won it, DNF’ed, rode tempo at the front for my team, raced in the break. The hills are selective, but not crushing. Sounds like MCG has stepped it up a notch, making it a time-based stage race. Guess I’ll have to work on my prologue skills if I am going to be a threat there.

You were pretty tough on the knobbies, too.. ever plan on going back to MTB or Cross racing.

Still come out for some cross races every so often (won a race in ’04)…miss it, but it’s too tough when you ride hard on the road all year. And the MTB, that was my “up-bringing”… I still train on the dirt a fair amount, but not sure if I still have the skills to be competitive in the elite class anymore…might get out and do a few though…never know.

Do you coach yourself or have coach?

Self coached…with years of making mistakes. I have some issues with how coaches run their programs these days, but that’s for another conversation.

Do you set up a peak for a season?

Kind-of. I have priority races (undisclosed!) that I will ramp up and taper for, but my schedule and overall motivation usually dictate the season.

Favorite place to ride?

Locally: My hometown of Ada…my favorite ride is from my parent’s home out to Grattan raceway to do the evening races out there and then ride home…a killer workout and typically 100 miles on a Wednesday is pretty killer!

Globally: West Flanders…riding the canals, over the tough cobbled climbs, down roads that seem so clean and desolate, hopping behind a local driving a scooter for motorpacing, stopping off (at the 3 hr mark) to get a coffee, riding without fear or a care in the world.

Best advice to newbies?

Do the base miles. Watch the elite guys, ask questions, and participate in the cycling community…which means come on up and start a conversation with us, ask questions during warm ups and training rides, fire us emails. I like talking to the young guys about all the potential they have in front of them…and lastly, enjoy what you are doing.

Last C.D. you bought?

KMFDM…nah, just kidding, said that to jibe ya. I think it was probably John Mayer. Nothing too tough, easy to listen to.

Good book or Ipod?

Can I say “Yes” ? Reading “Marley and Me” right now. Work out with Ipod when I lift, keeps me motivated.

Married/kids?

Married 3yrs to Sue, Daughter Emma (6 mo), our Golden Retriever “Louie” and our cat “Storm”.

What’s Friday night like at the Adams’ house?

Bath-time for Emma, Guiness-time for Dad (me), and typically some lay-low time for Mom (sue), Dad (me), Louie (dog) and a good movie. Storm (the cat) usually is off getting into trouble.

Big hour training week ?

15hrs if I am lucky & motivated.

Do you follow a strict diet?

yes. pancakes. espresso. oatmeal.

Would you still ride if you didnt race?

Definitely! Probably would get out and help motor pace the elite guys, and put more stock into the Euro Devo and general race promotion, too.

If you drink at all...beer or wine?

Beer, love the Belgian Beers, something you have to chew and has a lot of flavor. Nothing beats a Guinness from the tap. Typcial fare: Boddingtons, Hoegaarden, Guiness, Chimay or Westmalle…and a basket of Frites.

THANKS your one of the best!! and thank those that keep you rollin!!!

Thanks to my wife Sue for all of her support and understanding; to the Lathrup boys (PKA Ford), best group of guys; Raffi for his continued support & enthusiasm, MCG for the fire they put back into Road Cycling, and the promoters and volunteers for making it all happen.


quick note on the pics, the Former super squad..GS Blaukamp photo, this one was at the univest GP, pictured, are JP Boylan, Brian Sheedy, Seth Klienglass, Darryl Uhler, Dave Koessel, Charles Allaire, and B.A. himself.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,
Fly as high as the sun,
On your way, like an eagle,
Fly and touch the sun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Toledo crit in 2005 was my spectating highlight of the year. You wouldn't think that a pan flat, 4 corner, crit course around an open field would be so exciting. But with the wind and ominously dark clouds, the race broke into several groups, with racers attacking, groups merging. You could watch all the action unfold.

Brian's group of 5 dangled off the front, perilously close to being caught a couple of times. In an incredible show of team work, Brians teammate Chris Gotwald strung the break out on the backstaight, Brian slotted into 5th position and gave himself a gap to accelerate into through the final turn, then launched a LOOOONNNNGGGG 300 meter sprint down the finishing stretch. He won by 4-5 bike lengths, but you could actually see he was cross-eyed from the effort when he hit the finish line.

WOW!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Brian leading a 7 man break is the 2005 Perrysburg (Toledo) Grand Prix.

The MVW/Saturn of Toledo team put on a super event!