Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Right Stuff..












If They remade the Movie, The Right Stuff, and the cast was pulled from Michigan racers, Andy here would be shoe in
this guy has a great sense of humor and is hard charger as well, tough sprinter and and willing to suffer all season long, 
doesnt hurt either that he is a KMFDM fan! heres quick look what makes him him.
1.How long have you been racing?  
I did my first race in November, 1998. So, it will be nine years this fall.
2. what changes have you seen in the Miscene over the years
I started out racing Mountain Bikes and switched to road because my backcouldn't
handle the abuse anymore. When I first started racing road,
I wasblown away by how uptight and serious all the racers were.
Over the last couple of years, it seems like road racers are
lightening up a little and are having more fun while still racing hare.
It's been good to see.
Also the cross scene has exploded in the last couple of years, which kind of
surprises me,
given thekind of weather we have around here.
3. Favorite bike EVER?
Probably my current cross bike, a Ridley Supercross.
It is my first high endcross bike and it just flies.
That thing is fast and tough.
I've done some ofmy fastest laps at poto on that thing.
Although, the full carbon fork makes menervous at times.
4. past sponsors?
I rode for the various MCG teams for the last couple of years.
This year BrianRosewarne and I started a local Ann Arbor team.
We wanted to put together ateam of guys that not only wanted to race hard,
but wanted to train together, do some unusual rides, and have some fun.
We've got some great local sponsors. Two Wheel Tango, a bike shop in Ann Arbor,
and Morgan and York, a fine wine andspecialty food store in Ann Arbor,
are our primary sponsors, and we have a fewsecondary sponsors as well.
The team has worked out great, no matter how crappythe day is, or how stupid the
ride is,
most of our teammates will be there. They keep me motivated.
The last thing in the world I want to happen is forRich Stark to upstage me anymore
then he already does.
5.what are some of your secret cravings?
Anything sweet, I have a mad sweet tooth,
especially for anything chocolate oranything with marshmallows.......
and vodka gimlets.
6. Any rituals on race day??
Nothing to unusual.  I like to get to the race pretty early so that I don't feelrushed.
My wife laughs at me when I tell her what time I want to be places.
7. how many bikes do you own?
I have 1 road bike, 2 cross bikes, 1 mountain bike,
1 fixed gear, and 3 barcruisers in various stages of disarray.
So, what that? 8...
8.What are some of the funniest cycling moments you have had?
I was on a 6 hour training ride in the winter last year.
It was awful out,something like 18 degrees and windy as hell.
I see this thing in the middle ofthe road. I roll up to it and it is a copy of
Transsexual Transvestites IV,
still in its wrapper with a $29.99 sticker on it.
I was so cold and sick ofbeing on my bike that I thought I was hallucinating,
I even kick it to make sureit was real.
Looking back on it, I don't which is funnier;
the fact that it waspart of a four part series,
or the buyer's remorse that dude must have beenfeeling when he looked over
and saw Transsexual Transvestites IV on the seatnext to him,
and thought;
"Yeah....., I better just throw this out the window.
"Randy Hermann forgetting his shoe and then duct taping his tennis shoes to
his pedals to do a 40 K time trial
is pretty good too.
Except I don't remember if Iactually saw it happen or if the story has been
told so many times that it justfeels like I actually saw it.
9. what races are looking forward too?
I always look forward to Cone Azalia.
The Rockford and Dexter Crits should befun.
I am going to try and do some longer distance Mountain Bike races,
likeOre to Shore and Chequamenon, this year, so I am looking forward to those.
There has been some Alley Cats in Ann Arbor, and they have all been won by
myteammate Rodger, so I'm looking forward to knocking him off his high horse.

10.big goals this season?
Complete and utter domination by the Two Wheel Tango/Morgan & York team.
Barring that, cross is a big goal,
but my biggest goal for the year is to have alot fun on the bike,
whether racing or just riding.
11.Have you have ever been injured?
I blew out a couple of discs in my lower back snowboarding in college,
and I amstill paying for it.
Every year, I throw my back a couple of times and end upbeing laid up
for a week or so.
It is my biggest obstacle in my cycling.
Letthat be a lesson to all the kids out there: snowboarding kills.
12. do you coach yourself or have coach?
I "Coach" myself...
13. do you set up a peak for a season?
I set up three peaks a season.
They are usually pretty weighted towards the endof the season.
14. what other intrest do you have or hobbies?
My favorite thing to do when I am off the bike is to hang out with my wife,Alicia.
Other than that, I try to keep up with what's going on with myprofession
15. favorite place to ride?
Boone, NC1
16. raceday breakfast?
I usually have a couple of eggs on toast in sandwich form, three hours before
the race.
17. Last C.D. you bought?
I just had to re-buy At The Drive-In, Relationship of Command,
because I left mycopy on the roof of my car
18. favorite movie?
That's a hard one, maybe.....Bladerunner
19. what does Andy do on friday night, race weekend or not?
VIP room and a bottle of Patron, of course.
Actually, it usually consists ofhappy hour and dinner with my wife.
20. tattos, branding or blood letting ?
Unintentional blood letting; more then I would like to admit.  I have threetattoos.
21. big hour traing week ?
I will put in a couple of 25 hour weeks a year.
22. do you follow a srtict diet?
I guess so, I really try to avoid things that are processed.
Especially thingsthat contain the words "Highly Modified".
Other than that, I try to get most ofmy calories through lean protein
and fresh fruits and veggies.
23. would you still ride if you didnt race?
Yes, but likely not as much by myself.  
24. if you had to choose...road or cross?
Although I have an innate dislike of cold weather, it would have to be cross.
25. married?
Married, no kids, a Chihuahua named Louie.
26 THANKS and thank those that keep you rollin!!
Of course, I wouldn't be out there without the loving support of my wife,Alicia.

1 comment:

joe1265 said...

I can confirm the Randy Hermann story.

Classic family man mistake as I recall. What he told me at the time was that he had just planned to make it a quick trip out by himself, race the TT and then back home. That morning his wife decided to tag along with the kids as well. That threw his planning off and in the process, he forgot his shoes. Since he was already at the race, he duct taped his sneakers to his pedals and prayed that he wouldn't need to stop. I think he had a tricky moment at the finish where he needed help un-taping his shoes. I believe he still clocked a sub-59 minute time.