Tuesday, January 29, 2008

BEER BUDDY









"I can see it now a car load of you and your drinking buddies going up to empty my parents liquor cabinet, its too depressing to even imagine" From the Movie Animal House (quoted from Katy played by Karen Allen), Lumis, Lummox, the Brawny Lad, Hell raiser are all things that come to mind when we here at Tm's think of when someone mentions this Guy. Fact is he seems like a outright straight shooter and one heck of a great person. the first time i met Jason was at Fort Custer and he had this killer lookin dog with him, right away i could tell what kind of person he was.. I also used to spot him wizzin by me on a green Stumpjumper out at the POTO as i gasped for breath ...He's been a mainstay in the scene for the past 9+ years not only in the off road scene but crossin it up as well. Heres a quick blip on Jason Lummis.
1.How long have you been racing
1998 I started in Sport Mountain Bike



2. Your a long time poto Hell rider, if you keep track....what's your fastest time on the big loop?
     Fastest Poto was a 1:05.45 and change back in 2001, average on Thursday night Poto World Championships (PWC) is a sub 1:10. I like riding DBL Pottos at about a 2:25 pace
3. Occupation? Construction and now Aberdeen Bike Shop in Chelsea



4. past sponsors Bells started in 2001. We had a team with Tom Archer, Rick Noonan, Shelly Wilson called G&G (Automotive sponsor)in 2000 that morphed into the 1st Bells team with JAJ and Jim James.
   That has been it.



5. worst bike you have owned in the last 10 yrs BE HONEST its ok.?
 Colnago Road bike, absolutely hated the ride



6. what are your weakness, cycling specific?
  Being a flat lander from the Midwest I would say long climbs are my weakness.



7. Your first bike?
Besides a BMX bike as a child, would be a 1990 Cannondale with down sloping TT and a Pepperoni rigid fork 3lbs for frame and fork ( I still have it)



8.What are some of the funniest cycling moments you have had?
  Too many to list. But I tend to have allot, at other peoples expense.



9. The bells crew seems like a fun group. whets it like traveling with them?
   Like a big family the guys/gal are the best friends I have ! We have The Simonster, Joberon, Johnny M, JAJ, Q, now Erin V. and myself. 
    We all talk a couple times a week/day especially during race season.
    Traveling is great we try and carpool as much as possible.



10.Do you train on the road bike often??
   Used to, until I got my 1st Quiring 29er and now mostly dirt roads, mixed with trails and a little pave. I haven't been on a true road bike in over a year.



11.Do you follow specific training programs, I.E. peaks and Taper?
   Nope just like to ride allot and never real easy. I'll taper a little before a 'BIG' race. 
   I usually just ride easier on days I feel slow and harder on days I feel good.



12. do you coach yourself or have coach?
     Coaching? I would say self abuse would be the only self coaching I do. I will ask Art Flemming for advice once or twice a year.



13. Secret Cravings?
    Peanut M&Ms I can put a few lbs down real quick. HOPSLAM mmmmmm beer



14. what other interest or hobbies do you have?
  Hiking, XC skiing, scuba diving and backcountry camping



15. favorite place to ride?
    Poto, Gunnison, North Carolina ---Pisgah area, Moab, Durango, North Country Trail.



16. Have ever considered racing on the road more often?
    Sometimes, but the whole sucking wheel gig gets real old fast . There just has been too many conflicts with Road and MTB races over the last few years.



17. Last C.D. you bought?
     Tragically Hip -- Yer Favorites box set



18. good book or Movie?
     Movie



19. what does jason on friday night?
     Sleep ! I love my sleep.



20. wife and kids ?
 Wife Kathleen and son Zackery. Kathy and I have been together since 1998 and we where married in 2003. Zackery is 15 months old. 3 dogs as well.

21. 26-29er and why?
  29er ! Why ? Rolls faster thru the trails and over obstacles. Higher BB height means less clipped pedals. 
  I feel I have better high speed control on my 29er and traction as well.




22. do you follow a strict diet?
     Not really. I do eat about the same meals everyday (large breakfast, lunch and a small dinner--- with lots of snacks all day)



23. would you still ride if you didn't race?
      Hellz yes, I like to ride my bike everywhere.




24. rigid or suspended, In the past you have ridden FS bikes, do ever miss them?
     Rigid for racing for sure, rolling on the Quiring 29er with STANS NO Tubes rims set up tubeless. Suspension on courses that need them, like PLRA (thats it for Michigan races). 
    National races have courses that I would use a front fork for. The downhills and rough areas in MI are just not long enough to need a front shock. 
     I just take a little abuse for 10 secs at the most.
  Yes I have had a couple FS bikes and I always pushed the shocks to the limits with stiffness and pressure. I have broken too many Rock Shocks and never hurt a Quiring steel fork.
  The suspension works, problem is it works all the time. There is allot of wasted movement with in the bike.
  FS bikes are great riding bikes and are comfy. But would you want a Cadillac or a Ferrari in a car race ? 
 Yeah the Cady would be comfy and smooth, but when you want the speed and handling you get a little stiffer ride with the Ferrari.
 So here in the Midwest I say FS bikes for racing are a little too much. They make riders lazy in the handling department, point and shoot doesn't always work.
  Now that I have a Titanium Quiring 29er I don't ever see myself riding a FS bike. Tubeless set ups and low pressure adding a Ti set back set post with a little skill and I can ride all day.
 




25 THANKS your one of the best!! and thank those that keep you rollin!!!
 Keep up the good Shit ! and Remember arguing with anonymos people on the internet is like the Special Olympics.
It doesnt matter who wins you both look retarded

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fast Dude. Good Guy. Poto Warrior.

Anonymous said...

AMEN.

Anonymous said...

A real Straight Shoot'n Bad Ass.

Rixowtq said...

Fast Dude. Good Guy. Poto Warrior.