Tuesday, January 15, 2008

THE HERRIMAN CONNECTION


We all know what Robt Herriman looks like on a bike, scince he is on it more than he is not. We thought it would be a cool thing to see him back in day. These opening shots are just a sample of Roberts mom probably has hid in the closet. He is definitely one of us here at TMS

1. best moment on a bike?
The endurance races tend to evoke the most emotion for me. The finish lines of any of my five Leadvilles, two Lumberjacks, or my solo 24 hours of Boyne were all right up there. But I’ll go ahead and say rolling through the start finish area, on my way out for my last lap at the solo 24 was a best moment. Lots of friends there to cheer me on. It was cool. I got a little teared up rolling out for that last lap...

2. worst?
I guess any of my rides that have ended in the ER. I have had a few. Topping that list was a subfreezing, winter, night ride were I slipped and crashed, twisting my foot around, about 180 degrees. Then trying to ride home in 6 inches of snow with a snapped tibia and fibula. It wasn’t that it hurt all that much it was just the realization that things were gona suck for a couple months.

3. what training would you say is most beneficial?
Honestly, I pretty much ignore any conventional wisdom. I just ride my bike. No coach, no weights or cross training, and I rarely stretch. I think, just by default, if you ride 14 to 16 thousand miles each year you can have fun and get some results at the races.

4. who do respect on a bike in our scene? influences?
There are a lot of great riders in Michigan. Many that I respect. Some that I only see at the races but they still seem like genuine friends. I think that’s awesome and makes the racing fun. But I have to say I respect Simonster the most. I mean, I have to respect him or he will rip my legs off and beat me over the head with them. :-) Influence? Well, if it was not for Danny Klein I may never have fallen into this sport. Danny got me into cycling for sure.

5. favorite bike of all time?
My 2007 Trek Fuel EX 9.5 is an easy choice. I have ever owned a bike that I was so excited about. It’s just a blast to ride.

6. friday night in the off season? in season?
Friday night in the off season is an easy, hour spin around town. In season it's the same with a stop at the bike shop to get some energy gels for the weekend’s race.

7. biggest extravagance?
I’m a pretty simple soul so I don't have many extravagances. I don’t suppose I really need to have 13 bikes. I truly only need 10 bikes to survive…

8. any regrets in cycling?
Not really. There’s always gona be a move you could have made, that you see after the fact. But as far as those moves go I have been really lucky. I’ll admit it, I have been really lucky a lot. The big, big, Tour de Leelanau podium a couple years ago was pure luck.

9. is it true you were a inline skating honcho?
Sure. I got into in-line skating in 1992 at age 31. I saw an x-girlfriend in-line skating one day and was inspired to give it a try. I was soon racing on the skates and leading group skating adventures. That was in the hay-day of in-line skating and I was one of the guys that led groups of up to 250 skaters bar hopping in downtown Detroit. A local in-line skating legend, Dave Cooper, nicknamed me "Satan" cause I’d typically take the group father than anyone really wanted to go… And so the "Skaten with Satan" group skates were born…

10. who would win a arm wrestling match you or Danny K?
Boy, I would think most of buddy’s grandmothers could take me. I’m a skinny 155 pound weakling… Danny for sure.

11. first bike?
Looked in some of the old photo albums and looks like my first bike was at about age 8 and the bike was a step-thru frame design (aka girls bike). Maybe it was a hand-me-down. I have 2 older sisters.

12. favorite music in high school?
Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Scorpions… Hey, it was the 70s…

13. does robert have any fears? if so what?
Yikes. That’s deep. Of course. I don’t think I’d like to be buried alive.

14. last fist fight you were in? did you win?
I was never in a fist fight in my life. A guy once called me a "scarecrow" back in my rock band days and was beat up by my band mates but I was not involved in any of the physical goings on. I remember feeling torn between feeling sorry for the guy and happy that my friends stuck up for me. It was strange.

15. greatest strengths? weaknesses?
I have tons of patience and lack confidence. The lack of confidence has me race conservatively most of the time. Cycling strength would be climbing and endurance. I don't have a ton of power so sprinting is just OK but I have surprised myself a few time at the end of a race and finished ahead of some of our best local sprinters...

16. road or mtb?
Mt. Bikes all the way! I concentrated on road for a couple seasons. I got a couple results and placed 6th overall Cat 1/2 in the Michigan Challenge Series one of those years. But I just don’t find road racing anywhere near as fun as mt bike racing. In the last several years I have only ridden my road bike a handful of times. This year I rode the road bike 4 times.

17. pizza or burritos?
Burritos! They're often my pre-race dinner. I know where the mexican restaurants are near most of our races..

18. chix or bikes?
Chicks! I have 13 bikes down in my basement but I’d rather have 13 girls down there. :-o Just kidding. But yeah, chicks...

19. goth or metal? or soul?
Goth "and" Metal. I like the industrial stuff... A short list of a few of all time favorites.. Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Front 242, NIN, Ministry, Revco, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult…

20. do you peg your jeans?
I guess not. I didn’t even know what that meant until I busted in a call to Finkelstein. I had planned to answer that my last couple girlfriends said they were pleasantly surprised.

21. how about feather your hair?
My hair. I do like my hair a little longer. Maybe it’s just in my name. I am a Hairy-man.

22. most memorable win?
I don’t really have that many to remember. Addison Oaks last fall. From a 4 man group I put in a little dig half way through the last lap. Looked back and saw my teammate Greg Kuhn at the front and I knew things were looking good for the win. Greg and I got to use team tactics a few times last year.

23. any crushes as youth on TV stars?
How about Judy Robinson from Lost in Space. She was hot!

24. beer or wine?
Beer. Beer is one of my little guilty pleasures. I pretty much drink one 12 oz. beer at the end of each day.. It's my little treat for riding that days obligatory 40 miles.

25. winter or summer which do prefer?
I sometimes think that people must figure I like riding in the winter cause I ride everyday all winter long but the truth is I really don’t like being cold. But misery loves company so I trick all my friends into riding with me all winter long with my silly winter ride contest. I prefer summer!

You didn’t ask, but here's my life story (short version)…. I was made in France, born in Tawas, MI on Christmas day, 1960. Lived in Roswell, New Mexico (1961 thru 1967), the rest of my youth was spent in Warren, MI. Played Soccer in Jr. High. Played Guitar in various local bands in my late teens and 20s. At age 31 I got into in-line skating which eventually led me to cycling in 1995 at race age 35. Then add 140 thousand bike miles and you got me today.

And of course a big thanks to the sponsors and all my friends for keeping things fun...

Thanks Scene.

13 comments:

Todd Scott said...

Oh yeah, Judy Robinson. Nice interview, Robert!

Anonymous said...

Quote
"if you ride 14 to 16 thousand miles each year you can have fun and get some results at the races."
Thats it, ride a gazillion miles and you'll be fast. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Worked for Eddie back in the day.

Anonymous said...

HeRmItMaN RoCkS!
Enjoyed the interview TMS!
Please keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Worked for Eddie back in the day. and John Card in this day

Anonymous said...

Just because it worked/works for some people doesn't mean they couldn't have been/be better racers training in other ways. Also not everyone has the time or desire to ride that much.

Anonymous said...

or the desire to be good...

Anonymous said...

Rob loves to ride his bike, ALOT, and if he gets results so be it. nothing wrong with that. Herriman is a great rollcycling model

cody said...

A very fast man once said, "Ride lots."

Anonymous said...

or the desire to be good...WTF?

Anonymous said...

Pretty funning some people diss riders for riding thier bikes.
Isn't that what this sport is all about, riding?

Anonymous said...

NO SHIT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just because it worked/works for some people doesn't mean they couldn't have been/be better racers training in other ways. Also not everyone has the time or desire to ride that much.

or the desire to be good...

you really gotta wonder about people with such shitty attitudes.