Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Frankie A interview




It dont get much better than this homeboys....He came, seen and did it, and he is STILL ONE OF US! without a big intro, cuz he doesnt need it...Frankie Andreu


1. best moment on a bike?
Lots of great moments. Riding with my teammates around Lake Como, Italy and stopping for coffee and laughing during 2/3 of the ride. The 96 Olympics. I didn't win but I had a great ride finishing 4th. Finishing my first Tour de France and the 1999 Tour coming into Paris with the team in yellow and seeing the Eiffel Tower and Champs d'Elysee. Then of course when I won a stage of Tour of Poland and won a live pig.

2.worst?
When my Motorola teammate Cassertelli died during the TDF. A day I will never forget but it was more like a month that had a lot of emotions regarding his crash. It was tough on everyone involved, the entire peloton. No one thought this could happen and it was very difficult to deal with.

3.Favorite race of all time?
I loved Paris Roubaix. All year long we do road races on the flats and on the climbs. Roubaix is different, very different and challenging. This is what set it apart from the rest and that's what made it one of my favorites. Also, Milan San Remo. Beautiful roads, racing along the Italian coast, and very fast and intense.
Then the Tour de France. The biggest bike race, all the media, the hype, the pressure. Everyday is the biggest day of each riders career, one stage win can make a huge difference to a rider.

4. Who do respect on a bike in our scene? influences growin up?
I grew up coached by Mike Walden. He had a huge impact on my progress and also my father. The two of them helped and encouraged me in every way possible and always in a positive manner. I was also lucky to get on 7-11 team early on before they jumped towards Europe. I have the utmost respect for the guys that went over there on their own, that must have been so hard. I had riders like Bauer, Hampsten, Yates, Anderson, Keifel, Phinny, Leonard Nitz, and more that taught me how to act like a professional, train, and race as a pro. This made a big difference. Noel Dejonkeer, who heads up the U23 National Team, was director for 7-11 and he also made a big difference with all the young guys.

5.Favorite bike of all time?
I only rode like two models when I was racing. Eddy Merckx and then Trek. The Trek was great but nowadays there are many great bikes. With the weight coming down and carbon fiber all over the place there are plenty of good bikes on the market. I currently have a Blue RC7, and Lemond Tet de Course, and my old Trek.

7. biggest extravgance?
I'd say in 1997 I bought a new car, BMW M3. Hincapie had one and it drove incredible. My wife new I loved the car and so when I was racing in Europe she went and bought one and when I got home it was in the driveway. I probably would have never splurged on it, not my style. But I don't regret it's great.

8.any regrets in cycling?
I would have loved to have won a stage in the Tour. Never happened. I got 2nd at 4 different times, some were in the TTT. I did 9 Tours, they have 21 stages, so I figure I messed up about 189 times. The 90's were some fast and tough racing. I admitted to using EPO at one time and looking back I do regret that. It was impossible to keep up and after getting dropped over and over I cracked. Just because it's tolerated and accepted is no excuse. It just made it easier to do what seemed like everyone else was doing.

9. How do you see Michigan racing now as opposed to when you were coming up through the ranks?
There are more riders and more riders that take it seriously. I think Michigan racing is healthy and there are some great events on the calendar but there are still a lot of spaces where there are no races. It would also be great to be able to get a large style race in the Detroit area. Also the track in Rochester Hills is fantastic for everyone to benefit from. Not only for doing the races but riding the track is essential in learning tactics, pedaling technique, and bike control. I see a good amount of young talent racing in Michigan and I look forward to seeing where these riders end up.

10. who would win a arm wrestling match you or Ray Dybo?
I think Ray would win. I would have to talk some smack to him first to try and break him but Ray is tough and he has been around. He know cycling, he knows racing, and has great tactics. He would bring all that to the table and crush me.

11.first bike?
It was a blue Peugeot, I'm not even sure of the spelling. It was my fathers old bike and thinking about that it probably weighed 30lbs.

12. favorite music in high school?
I liked the Smiths, and Duran Duran. I have my kids listening to Duran Duran now. Honestly I wasn't that much into music. Never bought albums, cassete tapes or any of that stuff.

13.does Frankie have any fears? if so what?
I hate spiders. Simple, but I won't touch them or get near them.

14.last fist fight you were in? did you win?
We are going back aren't we? It was in high school and the school bus. Probably on the only fight I was ever in where I actually punched someone. One other time at a high school football game. We were the visitors and I was walking out, in the front, with my friends. Little did I know that the guys behind me were flipping off the home team. Before I knew it some guys came up, started yelling and knocked me straight down with a fist to my head. That was probably my last scruffle.

16. Tours or classics...
Classics, one day and the best riders wins. No secondary tactics, just rip every ones legs off and win.

17. Pizza or Burritos?
Burritos

18 chix or bikes?
I'm married so it's bikes.

19.Goth or Metal? or soul?
None of the above.

20. how often do ride now..be honest...?
I try to ride about 3 days a week but during the summer with my team directing and travel schedule I will get some good weeks in and then be off the bike for 2 weeks. It varies tremendously. The Tour really cuts into the cycling that is 4 weeks of nothing. When I get back from that it's like starting all over.

21. do you feather your hair?
that's funny.

22. Most memoribale win?
Olympic Trials in 1996 to make the Olympic team

23. any crushes as youth on TV stars?
No

24. Beer or wine?
Beer. Red wine gives me a bad headache even if I just have a little. I'm a lightweight so just a little beer can give me a headache also but at least that comes after four of five.

25. winter or summer which do prefer?
Summer. I'm not a fan of the cold and changing flats in the freezing.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work.
I am honored to say that is me in the cross photo, with frankie hot on my tail. I remember that day at Bloomer.

Frankie, it's always good to see a fresh side of pro racing. Thanks for your candor and honesty.

BA

Anonymous said...

Loved the hair question. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

thanks Tms, for getting one of my all time favorite cyclists on here. nice work!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from a real pro. down to earth and approachable, i remember at the first cone, frankie was there hanging out with the shelled riders. i think he was happy knowing he was watching the beginning of a michigan classic.
i support you all the way frankie. good luck with future endeavors

joe1265 said...

Rumor has it Frankie is going to be the Director of the South Lyon Cycle Team in 2008!!!!



NOT!

Great article TMS, keep it up!

Anonymous said...

joe, you are the rumor mill

Anonymous said...

no doubt.

Alex said...

Rumor has it Frankie is going to be the Director of the South Lyon Cycle Team in 2008!!!! NOT! Great article TMS, keep it up!