Thursday, October 23, 2008

Scenerstitions





Its that time of the year for us here at tms the witching hour is creepin closer, and with that thoughts of things that our on our supernatural minds, so here goes it, we all got em even if we don't admit them superstitions, in life or in our OTHER world. whether we believe them is in our own minds.


Karma...
when you do bad things...things that define your character...these things come back to haunt you. I don't live in fear of Karma, but I respect it and the "laws" it rules by. Simply put: I just try to do the right thing as often as I can.

BA

Let me start by saying I grew up playing soccer and it was probably when I played for my varsity coach that I was exposed to the most superstition. He used to wear special sweaters on certain days, etc, he was big into that stuff. I got into habits but never too big into superstitions. I'm still pretty much the same way. With cycling I have habits and a routine if you will. I like to get to races with plenty of time to warm up, I'm generally calmed by taking care of myself and setting things up. Unless you are someone who has worked with me in the past or I have asked you to help in some way it is not unlikely for me to get a bit snappy if you try to butt in on my routine. I usually do a pretty good job of hiding this and putting on a happy face but my parents have taken the slack a few times...it is best just to leave me be and if I want help I will ask. And although I have habits and a routine I have worked really hard to try and not let a disruption in those processes throw me off. What I'm getting at about superstition is that I have tried to not allow myself to fall into that pattern. Sure I will have occasional superstition, for example at a stage race if I race well on a certain breakfast, I'm likely to try and repeat that exact breakfast the following mornings in the hopes that it will help me continue to race well, which I think is reasonable! However, I recognize the power of the mind and how mental sport and life can be. I refuse to let my performance in sport or my successes in life be thrown off because I didn't get the right color apple or because Susie didn't send me the usual good luck email. Do you get what I'm saying? Sport and life are both unpredictable on a lot of levels and the most successful at either are those that understand and know how to adjust to what is thrown their way. Especially as a cyclist on the road you don't always have access to exactly what you want or you may have to change your plans to accommodate a van full of other athletes, so it is best to be flexible and not sweat the little stuff. That said I do believe that what goes around comes around and if you can call that a superstition, I believe you should always treat others well and give them all your best or it might just come back to bit you in a bad way.



kacey manderfield

None
jb hancock

I always change my login password to my computer to the next big race I have with a #1 after it. So it would be something like OretoShore#1, or Ironcross#1. If I don't do it, I get a little a superstitious. I'll bet you can guess what it's set at right now :-) I also set aside one pair of shorts for the big race day that I don't use during training miles.
SIMONSTER

IN RACING - never say the C-word


IN LIFE - I always cross myself when I run a yellow light.
JOELek
really don’t have any superstitions when it comes to racing. I think I am too apathetic for superstitions. The closest thing I’ve got is I try to make sure I get a good night’s sleep the night before the night before a race. Who the hell knows if that helps, but it makes me feel better. Judging by how I have been racing lately, I think I need to pick up a more serious superstition. Maybe sleeping with headphones on playing Long Black Feeling cranked the night before the night before the night before the night before a race. Then I would start kicking some ass for sure
andrew the right stuff weir


I don't really have any superstitions and have never believed in them from day one. I think when you have superstitions you start to set yourself up mentally for failure. I just try to roll with the punches and take what life hands me...

jeff the lil pony


Never ever, ever, change something on your bike the night before a race, any race, or any part of the bike, even seat position; it will always turn out bad. That new set of lighter/faster/nicer/cooler tires that UPS dropped off on Friday, which you put on after work, WILL flat on you during your race on Saturday, no matter what


anon


never eat beef on Tuesday, don't shave before a race, and skip pickles on any sand which. and always cross my chest when passing any roadside memorials.

ed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm superstitious of superstitions! If I'm doing something thinking about the superstition ie: Crossing the path of a black cat, eating or changing something before a race, then I have to stop and/or do it to break the superstition! It gets confusing at times!

-Rayster

Anonymous said...

If you look, you will see. If you listen, you will hear. If you touch fire you will burn. If you touch cold you will freeze. If you cry you will see tears. If you cut your self you will see blood. If you think something is funny you will laugh. If you ride your bike like a real one, you will feel pain. If you like the pain you will win.