Monday, December 01, 2008

Sceners speak



what was your most memoraible Michigan cyclocross state championship?

Jer Walker.
2005 at Stony because I WON it! After that, I think the 2001 Championship at Stony was Bad Ass. Full on field and the toughest dudes barreling into the end until Card eats it. Pony attacks and wins the day.

JB Hancock
Pontiac Lake in 1998, my first 'cx race and the state championships. That course rocked and I'll never forget my first 'cx race. Dennis Cotcamp took me down there; I rode on my Trek 930 rigid mtb. From that race on, I was hooked on 'cross.

Jon Card
would have to say that the 2006 State Championship was my favorite State Championship. The reason that it was my favorite is because I had one of those days where you don't "feel the chain". I had reached a pretty high physical level and I also rode a pretty good tactical and technical race. I also managed to win too. Which of course is never easy no matter where you race.



I would like to add that I felt the 2001 State course at Stony was the nicest course to race because it was very well designed and fun to ride. Lastly, I would like to add that Too White's win in '05 holds pretty good memories too. This is because he had worked long and hard to obtain that goal and it was good to see his commitment come to fruition.

Tim Saari
Considering I've had two mechanicals which essentially eliminated me in four tries, my pickings are slim. 2006 at Waterford was the closest I've come to a podium finish, so I'll have to chose that race. Card won going away and the Wiz showed that his time was just on the horizon. I slayed a few dragons that day and ended up just a few seconds behind Jer Walker for 4th place. I remember going up the paved climb a few laps into the race and hearing someone behind me say "it's just me." I looked back to see exactly who it was and it was my teammate at the time, Todd Frerichs, riding his heart out. I literally did a double take because I couldn't believe how fast he was going. I think that was one of his best races too so it was a good day all around.

Rob Foshag
2003 at Lower Huron, The weather low 30's, the turn out lower, Jon Card and Jer Walker rode away at the start, and me, Mike Wissink, and Nate Griffin chased for 45 minutes and couldnt close down Jer until, He had a chain issue, with one and half laps to go, and for us three it was game on. For the past 45 minute we were allies, now we became enemy's in a flick of a switch, with one to go we traded blows. I lead out after the last corner confident i nailed the silver, But Nate got me 40 meters from the line. I learned that day to NEVER sprint from the hoods.
Jeff Weinert
Every race I've done seems to be memorable but ... for me it has to be the 2001 State Championship at Stoney Creek. Jer, Jon and I still talk about that race to this day and I owe my second State Championship crown to "Card Cornor". If you look back at the results there were a lot of good riders that year and a few up and coming riders like Michael Wissink who was 12th. One other memorable moment of that race was Anthony Bruley sprinting like mad uphill and into the first corner and completely washing out across the pavement. It went down like this... It's the last lap and we're down to crunch time. Card is off the front by about 5 seconds or so. I'm chasing HARD towing a group which contained Russ Tiles, Brent Bookwalter and Scott Quiring dangling off the back.Russ and I are bunny hopping the barriers trying to make up ground. I'm thinking Card has this thing in the bag if he can keep the ship upright but were not giving in. It's down to about 750 meters to go...Card comes into a 120' corner way to hot and goes down like he took a right hook from Mr. T himself. The four of us breath a sight of relief as we ride bye him still siting on the ground wondering what happened. He jumps up after we pass bye but he can't get back on the group quick enough. And well, the rest is history. I sprinted Russ Tiles by half a bike length out of the last corner for the win and State Championship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are all some sweet memories, each of them unique. and no crap ass photos to bitch about either. This is my kind of blog.

Seriously though, I'd love to hear more WAR stories from different perspectives. Good stuff.