Wednesday, February 04, 2009

extra extra read all about it.

HEY HEY HEY bitches and Michsceners, Ya'll got what ya wanted a new state road race and a good one to boot, all da way up in YOOPER land. lets hope my bro Obama can keep the the gas prices under control so me and my posse' can make the trip. read below cuz this is from my friends and yours at the mbra, YEA i stole it! so if ya wanna make somethin of it come look me up.

BITCH


The Michigan Bicycle Racing Association (www.mbra.org) and the promoters of the Super Bike Fest (www.superiorbikefest.com) are pleased to announce that the Superior Bike Fest Road Race event has been awarded the Michigan State Road Race Championship for 2009 and 2010. This years event will take place on Saturday, June 27th, and will be held in conjunction with a Friday night Criterium in downtown Marquette, a Sunday Circuit Race at the de-commissioned K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base, as well as mountain bike races at Marquette Mountain Ski Resort.
The course to be used for the State Championship Road Race features challenging climbs as it travels through the scenic back roads of Marquette County. Racers will compete over distances from 35 to 100+ miles.
"While the MBRA received several outstanding submissions from other events, the Superior Bike Fest team put together an exceptional application", said Joe Lekovish, Director of the Michigan Bicycle Racing Association. "Bicycle racing continues to experience record growth in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, as both a participant and spectator sport, and the Superior Bike Fest event is one that is truly worthy to host the State Road Race Championships.”
Superior Bike Fest promoters Jim Grundstom and Donn Wolf lead a team of sponsors and volunteers who are committed to making the 2009 edition the best in the events five year history. "We're very excited about this,” says Grundstom. “We've moved up in the credibility pecking order in the cycling world."
Additionally, this will be the first time a bicycle racing state championship has been held in Michigan’s Upper Penninsula. "We think riders will appreciate traveling to Marquette and enjoy the community," says Wolf. "We anticipate seeing more organized teams with strong riders competing, all wanting to claim a state championship trophy.”
Mark your calendars and start making plans now! Be sure to check out the promoter’s website regularly for updates on the race events, lodging and information about the host community. Also visit the Michigan Bicycle Racing Association website at
www.mbra.org for information on bicycle road racing in the state of Michigan!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, take a 3 day race, 8 hours from anywhere that 95% of the racers live, put a State Road Race in the middle of it, ask TMS to drive up there and race a hard crit on Friday night then race the State Road Race the next day. Day's drive to get there and day's drive to get home.

Oh yeah.... No money in the damn thing ether, a long with an expensive entry fee.

Let's hope gas prices don't go through the roof again!

Who thought thinks this is a good idea?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, get rid of all the damn crap that takes 10 minutes to load just so I can bitch on this site.

Anonymous said...

not gonna dis agree on the remarks for the race, my take all the way.

as far as your the site loadin slow? maybe its your PC there has been alotta advances in home computer tech in te last 10 yrs, you may wanna invest in something other than what ever it is you spend your hard earned dollars one.

but i do agree driviving that far for a race that has no worth other than braggin rights is not in my 09 plan.

Anonymous said...

Gas = $80
Day off work = $70
Entry Fee = $ 50
Hotel = $150
Food = $100
Odds of making a buck = 0
Winning a state title = $450

That's not priceless.

Anonymous said...

Didn't realize 2/3 of this blogs followers made their money off racing. I'll be up there not for money or bragging rights, 3(maybe 4) great races all in one weekend is awesome, and using a course that can be selective sounds like a good idea. Or we could hold the race on a course that isn't tough and you could bitch about that for another year.

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

people will complain no matter what, where, when, why and how. its just the nature of the beast. Ya got to love the fact we are all different and the same all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

$450 X 250 riders = $112500.00

Maybe the economy will get fixed.

Anonymous said...

Save the money and gas. Make the entry fee $300 at Kensington with a $60,000 prize list and a state title. That works for me!

Anonymous said...

Selective? A big hill in the first 5 miles then a double lap of a 40 mile loop with a hill at the end of each lap. Great course for a stage race. Selective, only if you don't make it over the first hill with the group.

Anonymous said...

Keep playing the music.
It soothes me.

joe1265 said...

Everyone will have an opinion.

Nearly every racer in MI I know has at one time driven 4 hours to race in a single 40 minute parking-lot crit that they had little to no chance at winning any money at. Why? Cause they love the sport.

Driving 7 hours through beautiful northern michigan with all your best racing buddies. Heck the journey really IS going to be the destination for me.

Make ToKV the state championship? Shit, every time I go to a race in this state someone bitches to me about the Martindale Parking lot? Seems like 1 in 10 posts on this site complain about the ToKV.

I think I'd be attacked if the ToKV was selected for States. Come on!

What's crazy is that the fastest guy in the state, Ben Renkema, always makes it to the ToKV and he tells me it's one of his favorites. This is a guy who's raced HUGE events, with HUGE pay-outs and here it is February and he tells me he's already planning on racing ToKV? That's a true racer!

Thanks for the support Ben.

Hey, no one's making you race, so get your griping out now.

The MCG team is already looking into cabins in Marquette and planning on BLITZING the event and just having a BLAST!!!

Ciao,
Joe

Cruise said...

Superior Bike Fest is an awesome experience... The amount of support from the local companies and citizens make you feel like you are part of something truly special.

The crit itself is worthy of the state crit and the road race was one of the most challenging courses I raced last year. It has huge climbs, fast flats, and best of all you're not doing 8 laps of the same thing..

It's worth the extra money for a truly awesome weekend experience..

Anonymous said...

I'm with Cruise! Took the team up last year. One of my favorite races, everybody in the city was behind it and made you feel like professionals. The bikini's on the shores of Lake Superior when it was 65 degrees were unexpected, but the gals said it was a perfect summer day, go figure. All ready have our teams housing lined up. Should be a great time! May have to do the masters crit this year though, the P 1/2 crit was a lot for this guy!

-Rayster

Anonymous said...

Why don't we make it a true stage race with a time trial, crit and road race. Then we can make all 3 races for the State Championship.
kinda kill 3 birds with one stone in one weekend!!!

teamjackass said...

I'll stick to the single track. Less fanfare and more beer.

Anonymous said...

Yeah dude at least we have races to go to this year, duh. I have raced there since it started and it is a selective race/races. Also the trip up there to get away from it all is a part of the racing. So think about it and go cause Im getting ready. What you got?

Anonymous said...

Why don't we make it a true stage race with a time trial, crit and road race. Then we can make all 3 races for the State Championship.
kinda kill 3 birds with one stone in one weekend!!!


agree lets kill em all!

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

CHANGE IS GOOD. joe TMS loves ya!

Unknown said...

$12k for 1/2s down in O-HI-O (Cincy and C-bus) on the same weekend, special Cat Three overall as well.

Host housing available.

Less drive, less overall costs, mo prize money! (and no black flies...)

Anonymous said...

I know.

Anonymous said...

What he said... 12K same weekend. Going back to OHIO.....

Anonymous said...

Show me da money!

Anonymous said...

GOING BACK TO

O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O

Anonymous said...

O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O
O-H-I-O