Monday, April 06, 2009

The Fine Art of Stalking


Dan frayer. who to some? and U-NO to others, tms has been stalking dan for some time now, for many reasons, the love of the two wheel human powered unit, the ability to update his gig often...all of which appeal to tms, but what drew us to him more so than the fact he has a good sense of humor is his Tms esq like blog, if you haven't been there your missing the whole big picture of self expression , but then again some may not even GET IT! But to those that will, enjoy expanding your horizons, dan is probably unlike many Tms visitors in many ways. read on and maybe it will shed some light on what tms is, other than hated and misunderstood.



1.what year did you start racing?


Back in 2008 a signed up for the Ionia Rec Area Time Trial put on by Brent Walk. I wore a cotton t-shirt, bleed, cried, nearly puked and have been chasing podium dreams ever since.
2.MTB, TT road races which do you prefer?


If I has my choice it would be knobby tires 4 life. The 2nd half of last year and plans for 09/10 will be a mix of multi sport and xc races. Something about flying by trees at warp speed makes me smile.
3.most underated miscne'r


Mark Hendershot. You know he is going to ride you into the ground and make you feel like a million bucks afterwards. If I were to pick a young gun it would be John Doyle, both of these guys are humble and wicked fast.
4.OCCUPATION?


I teach 8th grade at Comstock North East Middle School.
5.wife kids?


I have been married to my wife Holly for 3 years and we have four furry kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats.
6.if so how do you juggle training etc, avg training hours


The last three seasons have been very structured with limited results. Now I ride when I want, where I want and how I want. I usually log about 8 hours in the saddle and 4 on foot and in the water. I try to balance my priorities and it always works out thanks to the support of my wife and friends.
7. any regrets in the past as far as racing goes?


I have some DNFs that haunt me in my sleep. 04 24 hours of snowshoe, 06 12 Hour Cowbell Challenge, 08 Lumberjack 100. Those are races I can never get back and it makes me sick thinking about the shame of quitting.
8. road or Cyclocross, racing if you hadf TO DO a full tour of either?


Road would be more fiscally responsible but cross has cold beer and shenanigans. I would have to pick the barriers and mud pits. Sorry Road Fans
9.favorite bike all time


2003 Schwinn Homegrown Comp. I switched it back and forth from geared to single and loved it. It was mustard yellow and my first real mountain bike. My close second would be my current 29er Salsa Mamasita.
10 favorite movie ever!


The adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk’s novel “Fight Club”
11. how many races do you do a year?


30 plus in a good season, 8-9 if they are enduro style. This season I hope to achieve good life balance and still race 20 weekends.
12. if you could be as good as you are at any other cycling discipline which one?


I hope to transfer my enduro results into some short course XC and Xterra events. I am consistent for the long haul but once I get into some intensity my results are sporadic.


13. favorite race of all time?


This is a tough question. There are many things to consider when judging a race. Spectators, after party, promoter and course. I would rank my favorites as Ice Man, 12 Hours of Pando and The 24 Hours of Nine Mile. I have had fun, success and support at all three.
14. if had to design a headbadge for a bike what would it be?


A single speed Cog inside a heart. It would represent an appreciation for all the simplicity and machinery that makes cycling fun.
15. any major injury's?


Just a bruised ego and minor cosmetic blemishes
16. favorite peanuts character?


Pig Pen. He has a dirty and rough life but rises above it.
17, rocky or Mrt, or drago? who do like the best?


Drago was a doper, I like Rambo more than rocky, so Mr T. gets my vote for style, confidence and decision making ability.
18. weekends in the frayer home? what are they like?


Saturday morning I race to the YMCA to snag a lane, nap, read, ride, run, walk the dogs, and do the yuppie loop from Barnes and Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond then Target. Sundays are reserved for long rides and rest. Mix in a couple micro brews and you have a weekend at the Frayer home.
19. favorite snack?


Ice Cream
20. do you follow strict diet?


I have not eaten meat since 02, and I try to eat good pizza at least once a week.
21. beer wine or none at al


l Both. We are spoiled living in Kalamazoo with Founders, Arcadia, Bells and New Holland distributed locally. One of my best kept secrets is a cheap merlot as my recovery drink of choice. It works.
22. favorite cd of all time?


The Grateful Dead’s American Beauty
23. in the 80's were you, punk prep? jock, geek, burn out?


I followed the fads. I wore my pants on backwards in middle school, loved flannel and had an undercut when Grunged ruled the streets. I even wore a bandana backwards when Tu pac died.
24. favorite toy as a kid?


Star Wars action figurines. I still have them in a closet and my wife thinks it is dorky. I think it is staying true to my roots.
25. thanks for your time!!


Thanks to the Michigan Scene for giving me blog posts worth looking at. Keep it up.




thank you Dan for the TMS visuals!

6 comments:

Mrs Lovett said...

Matching blogs.
Thats really cute.

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

dont knock it till ya tried it

Anonymous said...

dOPAGE

Hater-of-hates said...

It TMS gonna race the 104 miles of Mt Pleasant or will they wuss out like they did at Barry-Roubaix???

:)

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

you need not worry what, were and when.

tms will arrive.

only thing you need to be comcerned with is how much of wuss thyself is.

switzerland said...

first time i have heard TMS fight back rather than going neutral. Economy gotcha down?