Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BASHERS CORNER


You got one? thinking of up'in your game and getting one? Basher put his thinking cap on for this ONE and spoke his mind on the neat little toys we call powermeters




Powermeters

Point:


One of the best inventions to come our way in cycling and yet one of the worst. Why the worst? Because now every tard with enough dough to afford one thinks he's "training" now. Too bad you don't know shit about what to do with the data. What good is it to know that you're putting out 250 watts if you're not going to do anything with it. It seems like everybody has one now. There's the most common with the Powertap. A fine tool indeed and with their new SL version in carbon, quite fashionable. It's like it's not even there, as if it came OEM on the bike. Then there's the King of the Hill, SRM. Usually these dudes get a pass from power weenie scrutiny. If you can afford an SRM, you're usually good enough and smart enough to use it. But still, thanks to companies like Cannondale, you can actually get one as a stock item on certain upper crust models. Thanks for enabling those of us who think we can, but really can't. Data driven tools are only as good as the person using the data. Know what to do with it and you might be in good shape. Hell, you might even get faster (assuming you understand the concept of periodization, something that is lost on most Michigan racers). Looking to be too cool for school and you may as well have bought a heart rate monitor when all you do is ride to the coffee shop. Fucking useless.

Counterpoint:


How am I supposed to get better if I don't have the proper tools to train with? I have the carbon bike, the carbon wheels with tubular tires, the best nutritional supplements known to man, and I even have one of those Garmin thingies so I know where the hell I went when it's all over. I can only ride at 130 heart rate for so many weeks. I got to open the throttle man. If I don't show up to Waterford or Runway plaza knowing how many watts I'm throwing down, how can I talk smack about it on Monday morning? How can I compare myself to the very best while ignoring the role that this genetic mess my asshole parents gave me plays. Come on now, powermeters are where it's at. I'm in full control and can take on the world. I will be the next Lance Armstrong. Without power, I wouldn't be able to crank it all winter long and thus wouldn't have a clue as to when I'm going to burn out guns a blazing. Fuck that shit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the role that this genetic mess my asshole parents gave me

that is too funny, too bad its true!

Cruise said...

haven't used a powertap or any computer / heart rate moniter all this year..

but I'm borrowing a power tap for a while starting now, pretty excited!

Tom Boonen said...

A few bumps of nose candy & I am a fucking power machine.

Anonymous said...

I agree but it only works for me when its sniffed off a strippers tit.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE BASHER!

Anonymous said...

best one yet!

Matt said...

There is something to be said about just riding your bike. Like Eddy said... "Ride lots".

Anonymous said...

Fuck the numbers, pass Renkema in a sprint and you have your game on

Anonymous said...

give me the cheapest HRM you can find. train with it and chuck it on race day.

Anonymous said...

DOPAGE