Thursday, March 13, 2008

One question 15 answers.

TMS asked random Miscners which was there favorite race, in or outta state...
Brian THE EAGLE aka FLY Adams
The one race I ALWAYS looked forward to, and coincidently the first race I ever won as a Cat III: Italian fest in grand rapids. Home town, loved the venue and the food, festivities. Loved watching kirk obee get pushed around (when he was a junior) by tim swift, frankie et al. in the pro field. That's what crit racing was all about, fast, scary and hard, with tons of spectators on a hot summer day in a down-town. Much like the new Priority race (07), so well run and such a grueling course.

One year in the mid nineties they had to move the venue to (I believe) monroe street, up the newly cobbled "grade" of a climb...I raced for Alpine back then, and Jason Swiatlowski broke away and lapped the field solo, while Brett Robinson and I attacked and stayed away (2 of us), with Brett fighting a rear flat the last 10 laps or so. Went 1-2-3 on the day. Those are the races that fuel me through the boring winter on the rollers/trainer.

Favorite race outside of michigan, but in the US? Snake Alley, baby!

Favorite International race? Oudenarde Kermesse: Always did the best there, loved the course and the atmosphere. Still think about that race when I am suffering in breaks back here in Michigan.

BA
Ron stack, Cycle and fitness head Honch The 2008 NIGHT cyclocross race at Vets Park Ann Arbor. That’s gonna be my pick.

I liked Leelanau, even though we didn’t have a snowballs chance in Hell of doing anything there except hanging on.
rS
Ben Renkema miscene version of the Greatest American Hero Downers grove Cedar Creek road race
Robert Herriman big mile guy think I'll go with the Lumberjack 100...
Steve Balogh, all around swell guy I'd have to say Lake Orion High School/Bald Mountain two weeks ago. Deep snow for a winter MTB race, beautiful day, great course.
Jason lummis bells beer buddy Chequamegon fat tire..... pure race talent and all around fun Lumberjack 100 for a MI race.... 100 miles on a MTB in the woods 7+hrs in the saddle FING awsome
Mike SIMONSTER In Michigan??? I know it's kind of cliche' and all, but I'm going with the Iceman. Ripping thru those snow mobile trails at warp speed, and stringing it out at 20-25 mph. Rooster tails of sand in the face, and not knowing if you're going eat dirt into the next sand trap... there's nothing like it. Outside of Michigan, I'd have to say Shenandoah100. You could truly have a war of the worlds in cycling on that course. It has it all. Everything from HORS catagory road climbs to technical high speed downhills.
Tim Finkel Miscenes favorite son Being the Michigan Scene, I'm going to have to stick local on this one. I have done the Tour De Leelenau all three years so far and it has always been a fond race of mine. Our sponsor Suburban home always puts us up in a condo in Glen Arbor on lake Michigan. The vibe in the air is always great because it marks my last road race of the year...the evening after we always have a party on the beach and engage in ceremonial beer consumption. The next day is usually spent rolling around on the harvest ride checking out the sites we failed to see the day before because of our race focus and talking about everyones perspectives of the race. Its a beautiful time of year and a beautiful place to race. The towns people are always so supportive and welcome the racers like we are superstars. It always reminds me that Michigan has more to offer than just dodging cars of people on cell phones in Hummers stuffed to the brim with their shopping bags from Somerset and balancing their triple mocha no whip chocolatte frapachino. Two years ago Tony Bruley and Adam Maclounie passed out on the coach of our condo with both hands on the same beer...it was quite a site. Personally, the race lacked the luster it did in the past since it went to a UCI Pro event. The field was smaller and much more divided by ability level. I am kind of bummed the race is in May this year.
Jay Moncel TREKIE downers ave superweek 2007. (not to be confused with downers groove)
Doug Gatto, the EYE BEHIND THE LENSE I would have to say two come to mind, the 2007 Gaslight crit, very nicecourse, took a 1.5 to 2 lap solo flyer about 1/2 into the race; gotcaught but I remember seeing 201 on my HRM. But was still able to finish. And one of the AA training races, it was when I was still doing the Crace, it would have been 2004 or maybe 2005 (I think it was 2004 [I cancheck by blog to know for sure]), but this C race was a real knees andelbows race (in the Cs of all places), I was bumped and knocked aroundlike crazy in this race (mid pack finish I think).
Tim SAAri no longer the underdog. maillot jaune/fenton
Josh Tarrant springflingstandout Superior Fest
Andy Wier TEAM KMFDM Paris to Ancaster. Well...that is three words, but I think it will work.
JOE LEKovich Miscenes Rose City Crit (aka Jackson Crit) That race was a true criterium. It took legs, but also a lot of bike handling skill to race that one. I loved the feeling of going through those left-right-left corners at top speed, elbow to elbow with other racers. It gave me the feeling of a roller coaster in a way. From a spectator perspective it was great too in the way it was an abbreiviated figure 8.
Rob Foshag Not the one. outside Mi Highland rim classic in TN, in MI the old Kalamzoo state road race, not the safest but a cool course.
Intresting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron stack, Cycle and fitness head Honch The 2008 NIGHT cyclocross race at Vets Park Ann Arbor. That’s gonna be my pick

whats this? for real Doe?

Anonymous said...

Doug. Gatto. Is. The Truth.

Anonymous said...

whaaaa?

Anonymous said...

OOOHH snake alley flashbacks from hell...

TheBrothersChase said...

Hell Yes Tarrant....Superior Bike Fest is where its at...if you don't know ya betta ax some body!

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kroske said...

Domo arigato, Mr. Doug Gatto, domo...

Kroske