Tuesday, March 20, 2012

VIA DIRT

In anticipation of this weekend's Barry Roubaix Killer Gravel Road/Ultra CX Race, we sat down with Adam York. Adam finished fourth last year and he'll defninitely be one of the riders to watch this Saturday (March 24th).
11 Vaguely Barry Roubaix-Related Questions


1. What do you know about this Barry Roubaix thing? What exactly are you doing up in balmy semi-northern Michigan on Saturday? Tell us about it. 


 Barry Roubaix is the first 'who has the biggest balls' race of the year in the mitten. Used to be for the mountain bikers but now the roadies are on the spring classic fad band wagon. Without exception it keeps getting faster. Huge fields should make for huge crashes. Just ask Garth (and while you're at it...what's the deal with the doll on his seat post?)

2. What kind of bike are you riding — cross, road, 29er...and why?

 Caanondale Caadx cross bike with heavy tires and tubes.  Best bang for the wattage buck.  Not sure the course would be road bike 'safe' for the cautious.  I've got a team road bike but it's supposed to last me until September.  Not sure they'd be so stoked about me asking for another one.

3. Are you gonna win? If not, why not? And who is?

  If I didn't think I could win I wouldn't show up.  Sadly last I checked we can't ALL win... and I think most of us believe we CAN win....so who will win?  Who the hell knows.

4. Define Ultra CX. Is it just like regular cross, only with more lasers?

  Battle dome after some bad mexican food.  Ultra CX is just a European spring classic road race by another name.  I'm pretty sure most eurolanders would laugh at our funny looking bikes and high volume tires.

5. What is the appeal of gravel road or Ultra CX racing for you? 

  Ultra CX races favor the 'strong man' aka the guy who spent the most time on his trainer.  This was a warm year so I'm not sure how true that will hold this year.  Also I suspect the roadie squads will play team tactics.  So that might throw a wrench in the gears.

6. How does your bike set up differ from the usual for a gravel road or Ultra CX race, if at all?

  CX bike + tubes + higher pressure.  Nothing fancy.

7. What super-famous pro cyclist (besides yourself of course), from any discipline, would you like to see come do an Ultra CX race? (Even if it’s only so you can see them suck big time.)

  Racing with Brian Matter is always a good time.  Haven't paid much attention to the start lists this year but racing against that kind of caliber is always fun.  I've seen the damage that level of rider can do to a group of pro mountain bikers (via video of course).  So I've got a lot of respect for that kind of power.  I'm sure a few dark horse roadies will show to add fuel to the fire.  Also I never know who the hell the fast Canadians are... they just kind of disappear off the front.

8. If Barry Roubaix were one, big UFC cage fight, who would win?

  I've seen cyclists fight.  It'd be a boring draw with a lot of hugging.  You'd want to dip their hands in glass.  Like some bad Jean Claude Van Damme movie.

9. What is your plan of ATTACK? 

  Stay up front, stay cool.  Original plan, right?  With the kind of pack we'll see this year I suspect I won't have to make many moves.  There will be a pretty major separation on the back side rollers and probably a few gnarly crashes I'd love to avoid.  All I can say for certain is I'll scout the finish this year so I'm not crossing any drainage ditches.  That was my biggest mistake in 2011.

10. (No Googling on this one) Why is the race called Barry Roubaix? (Even if you know the answer, feel free to make something up involving Barry Manilow, Barry White, Barry Goldwater or all three.) 

  I'll assume like every race it's named after the location.  Though I REALLY think it's named after someone's cousin who would ride the back roads of western michigan speaking in nothing but tongues.  Though they never found Barry's body.  Strange.

11. If you had a gun, with two bullets, and you were in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Garth Prosser, what would you do? (Hint: if you answered anything besides “Shoot Garth Prosser twice” you are WRONG.)

  Since two of the three are dead and I've got a gun.... Wait, do I get a video camera too?

3 comments:

Surly Bastard said...

Great interview. Love the pic. However, whoever dressed Adam forgot to put the glasses over helmet straps. Up until that, it was classic with all the smudged dirt, tongue and ... hey look out for that drainage ditch!

Anonymous said...

brx=blood bath

Anonymous said...

hey, the roadies will be doing the lowell 50 the next week. too many bodies at BRX