Wednesday, March 21, 2012

VIA DIRT


Derek Graham is a bad man. There have been three editions of Barry Roubaix and Derek has finished on the podium at all of them. In 2010 he stood on the top step of that podium. It would be safe to say that he is one of the favorites going into this year's race...which is this coming Saturday, March 24th. Watch for full coverage here on BigBikesMedia & Cyclingdirt.


11 Vaguely Barry Roubaix-Related Questions:

1. What do you know about this Barry Roubaix thing? What exactly are you doing up in balmy semi-northern Michigan on Saturday? Tell us about it.

Barry Roubaix is the "killer gravel road race." The open class is 62 miles with 4300 feet of climbing (that's a lot for Michigan) and it's mostly dirt road and two track. This will be the fourth year for the race and it has grown really fast and gotten better every year. There were 1500 spots available this year it sold out almost two months ago. For some reason people love to suffer in the cold on hilly dirt roads. Rick Plite always puts together great events with a fun atmosphere.

2. What kind of bike are you riding: cross, road, 29er...and why?

I'll be riding a 29er with a rigid fork, a road cassette and some light semi slick tires, maybe cyclocross tires. Why? Mostly because it's the only appropriate bike I have, but I also think the difference between a 'cross bike and a 29er in this race is negligible. The rider makes the difference.

3. Are you gonna win? If not, why not? And who is?

I'm not sure if I'll win, but I'm definitely going to try. I've been on the podium for every edition of this race so I would like to keep that streak going. I missed the team training camp this year and I've been training in solitude in Northern Michigan. Saturday will be my first chance to see how I compare with everyone else. We have some new young guys on the Bissell team that I think are really motivated this year. I would not be surprised if one of them comes out on top.

4. Define Ultra CX. Is it just like regular cross, only with more lasers?

Well, I just found out that Barry-Roubaix is part of the Ultra CX series so this will be my first one. I heard there is one section where you might have to get off the bike, so I guess that qualifies it as a cyclocross race. I hope there are lasers, too. The distance makes it "ultra" and ultra always means better, except when the subject is beer.

5. What is the appeal of gravel road or Ultra CX racing for you?

I like that it's a little bit of a cross between a mountain bike race and a road race. There are road racing tactics involved but, the terrain is more challenging. Plus, we have a lot dirt and seasonal roads in Michigan and that's where all the best hills are. I spend a lot of time training on them in the off-season and its fun to race on them for a change. The other cool thing about Barry-Roubaix, specifically, is you get a good cross section of the cycling community at the event. The field is a mix of mountain bikers and roadies who would otherwise not race against each other.

6. How does your bike set up differ from the usual for a gravel road or Ultra CX race, if at all?

Other gravel races I do are more like a typical road race with mostly paved roads and sections of dirt. For those I use a regular road bike with some tough, box section rim wheels and heavier tires. Barry-Roubaix is almost all dirt and includes a couple two-track seasonal roads, so it is a lot rougher. For that I get out the mountain bike and try to set it up as light as possible.


7. What super-famous pro cyclist (besides yourself of course), from any discipline, would you like to see come do an Ultra CX race? (Even if it's only so you can see them suck big time.)

I would love to see one of the top European classics riders in an Ultra CX race. Fabian Cancellara on his Paris-Roubaix bike. It would be cool to see how long I could keep up.

8. If Barry Roubaix were one, big UFC cage fight, who would win?

That would have to be a really big cage! I haven't read through the entire start list, but if Dan Korienek is going to be there, he would win. He has a mean looking goatee and sometimes a mohawk that makes him look like he should be in a UFC cage fight.

9. What is your plan of ATTACK?

The Bissell/ABG/Nuvo team should have a strong squad for this race and we're going to tackle it like any other road race. All for one and one for all, attack and counter attack until we get a selection where we know we can win. The first couple years of this race it played out like a cross country race and it was every man for himself. When I won two years ago I was alone for the last 25 miles. Last year there was a stronger field and it was more like a regular road race, but no one in the lead group had any teammates. I think it will be similar this year and if we can get two or three Bissell riders in a small lead group we'll have a good chance at winning.

10. (No Googling on this one) Why is the race called Barry Roubaix? (Even if you know the answer, feel free to make something up involving Barry Manilow, Barry White, Barry Goldwater or all three.)

It gets the first part of its name from the fact that it is held in Barry County, which gets its name, not from Barry Manilow, but from William T. Barry. As I'm sure everyone already knows William T. Barry was Postmaster General in President Andrew Jackson's administration. The second part is a requirement that any race where even part of the course's surface is rough have "-Roubaix" tagged on to the name. Especially if that race is in the spring.

11. If you had a gun, with two bullets, and you were in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Garth Prosser, what would you do? (Hint: if you answered anything besides: Shoot Garth Prosser twice, you are WRONG.)

I don't know this Garth guy very well, but he sounds terrible so I would shoot him twice. Plus, Hitler and Bin Laden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DG!