Thursday, March 22, 2012

VIA DIRT


Kimberly Thomas was just one spot shy of the win last year at Barry Roubaix. But word on the gravel roads is that she's been training her, uh — what's a less offensive word for ass? — off and defending champ Mackenzie Woodring isn't going to be showing up this year. (Rumors that Kim may have facilitated a roller-skates-related-accident involving Mackenzie are probably unfounded.) Chances are looking pretty good for Kim, we'll see how things turn out Saturday, March 24th, here on BigBikesMedia & Cyclingdirt. 

11 Vaguely Barry Roubaix-Related Questions:


 1. What do you know about this Barry Roubaix thing? What exactly are you doing up in balmy semi-northern Michigan on Saturday? Tell us about it.

Barry Roubaix is a fantastic race. Michigan and beyond has absolutely embraced it. It is a great course. Beautiful, challenging etc. with a great party afterwards.  Stick around for beer and bon fire after the race. But my favorite thing has always been that it brings the road bike racers and the mountain bike racers together in one big race to shoot it out against each other and see where everyone stands early season. (Did I mention the great party.)

2. What kind of bike are you riding - cross, road, 29er...and why?

Cross bike (Felt). Because I love my cross bike and need more chances to ride it.  I do believe a cross bike is generally best for the course, which is one of the things I love about Barry Roubaix.  My friends out East want me to come do Battenkill.  I prefer a course where I can be competitive on a cross bike rather than having to get beat up racing gravel on a road bike.

3. Are you gonna win? If not, why not? And who is?

The first thing I know is that we are all lucky that Mackenzie Woodring is just back on her bike after a broken leg this winter and will not be racing.  Just for the record...any rumors that I pushed her down on roller skates to keep her off the Barry Roubaix podium are false!  As for me, I'm going to give it my best shot. My fitness is still pretty early season after taking a break after trying to peak for Cyclocross Nationals and Masters Worlds in January.  But I have a ton of endurance, so we'll see how it all pans out.  My bets are on Sam Brode and Amy Stauffer (from Priority Health), but I don't know all of the riders this year. I am sure I am missing a great force out there. Kathy Everts (Real Women Tri) also is a good bet for the podium.  But don't get me wrong.  I'll be giving it my all to leave them in the dust.

4. Define Ultra CX. Is it just like regular cross, only with more lasers?

Beats me. We'll see I guess.

5. What is the appeal of gravel road or Ultra CX racing for you?

Gravel! But I love all things Cyclocross so that is a bonus.

6. How does your bike set up differ from the usual for a gravel road or Ultra CX race, if at all?

I have the same set up as last year.  But I can't say I am basing that on much information. I haven't even pre-ridden the course this year.

7. What super-famous pro cyclist (besides yourself of course), from any discipline, would you like to see come do an Ultra CX race? (Even if it's only so you can see them suck big time.)

Easiest question yet. Adam Myerson! I am a huge Adam Myerson fan.  In fact I might have a bit of a crush on him.  If only he ate meat, was a fiscal conservative (with tattoos to match) and wasn't thinner than me, we might have a future together.

8. If Barry Roubaix were one, big UFC cage fight, who would win?

Malibu Barbie?

9. What is your plan of ATTACK?

This year I'm going to try not to lose control on that big right turn after Seager, endo and crash into a tree face first.  I had a sore shoulder for 2 months last year from that crash. (Luckily for my off the bike life the marks on my face healed faster.) So my plan is to keep my hands on the handle bars when turning.

10.  (No Googling on this one) Why is the race called Barry Roubaix? (Even if you know the answer, feel free to make something up involving Barry Manilow, Barry White, Barry Goldwater or all three.)

The race is in Barry County (isn't it?).  We all know where Roubaix comes from.  Incidentally, my pick to win this race in 7 years is my friend's (now) 11 year old daughter Emily Roubaix Seven.

11. If you had a gun, with two bullets, and you were in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Garth Prosser, what would you do? (Hint: if you answered anything besides "Shoot Garth Prosser twice" you are WRONG.)

What would Adam Myerson say... Bikes not Guns... oh wait, that's themichiganscene.blogspot.com

No comments: